So, my friend Misti has done a lovely photo wall in the last couple of houses she has been in. I have wanted to do something similar since I first saw hers!
I had taken advantage of a photo printing deal for 4×6’s at one cent each a while back and thought I would just use some of those pictures! I had them printed with a black border. I would normally do a white border, but for some reason I thought I would try the black. I actually like the black because with this project, my wall is very light and I think the black sets it off more.
It was just a mish mash of both old and new images, so the first thing I did was group them into content. Each child got their own pile, Jeffy and I had a pile and then and separate ones of us each got a pile. Scenery pics and other family members got a pile too.
I looked through the piles and noted that I had a lot more horizontal pictures than I did vertical, which was odd because I normally take more vertical. Hm..
I measured the area that I wanted to do the collage…it was going above the computer at my desk so I could look at it often..
With the measurements, it became apparent that it would look better and be visually pleasing if I used the horizontal images. I was able to do seven rows across and six down. If I didn’t have shelving to the one side, I could have gone bigger, but I think the size is perfect for the spot.
Picking out the images was the hard part. If I had an idea that I was going to do this project, I would have ordered different images. These had been in my ‘to print’ folder for a while though, so I thought I should just get it done. I have a fair amount of each child, of Jeffy and I, scenery and a couple other family pics. Some pics from years ago and some that were only a few months old. I had a handful of black and white images in there too, which I was able to put right in the middle alternating with the color images.
I arranged them out on the table first, to make sure I liked them. I did so many changes, I drove myself crazy. I finally just left it the way it was.
To put them up, I used glue dots. I don’t know if I grabbed the extra strength ones or what.. or maybe it is because the house is older.. But I went to reposition one of the pics and it had ripped off the paint underneath. SOoooo, if you want to try this, I suggest looking at the glue dots you purchase.. hahaha! We would be repainting this room eventually anyway, so it wasn’t a big deal to me.
I really like the way it turned out, and there are a lot of my favorite pictures in there. Some, I had to throw in to keep it even.
It seems like at least every week someone comments on one of the pictures. I love that. Most of the pictures on our walls are framed portrait style pics, so this is a nice change.
One of the pictures lost it’s sticky dot, so I need to put one back on there…but that’s easy enough! 🙂
I love love love looking at this when I am at the computer… 🙂