As we were going through the process of getting licensed for fostering, we had several talks with our social worker. One of which was about parenting. Now, Jeffy and I both thought that we had a pretty easy go of it, and we still think that. Our kids were pretty easy! Maybe because they were somewhat close together, maybe because I stayed home with them, maybe because we are just calm people? I don’t know, it could be any of those things or a combination of them.
But I recently read the book Parenting – 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family by Paul David Tripp and it made me look at parenting differently.
This book kind of goes into they why and how you are parenting. Are you parenting for yourself or for God. Are you an ambassador. It isn’t like your typical parenting books that give you ideas for different stages or ages of your child. This is just parenting in all it’s glory.
This book is slightly over 200 pages and is broken down into 14 foundational principles centered on the gospel. First, there is an introduction that I think everyone should read before starting onto the main book. If you are like me you will end up nodding your head through it and silently agreeing with a lot of what is written.
The 14 chapters are:
- Calling – Nothing is more important in your life than being one of God’s tools to form a human sould
- Grace – God never calls you to a task without giving you what you need to do it. He never sends you without going with you.
- Law – Your children need God’s law, but you cannot ask the law to do what only grace can accomplish.
- Inability – Recognizing what you are unable to do is essential to good parenting.
- Identity – If you are not resting as a parent in your identity in Christ, you will look for identity in your children.
- Process – You must be committed as a parent to long-view parenting because change is a process and not an event.
- Lost – As a parent you’re not dealing just with bad behavior, but a condition that causes bad behavior.
- Authority – One of the foundational heart issues in the life of every child is authority. Teaching and modeling the protective beauty of authority is one of the foundations of good parenting.
- Foolishness – The foolishness inside your children is more dangerous to them than the temptation outside of them. Only God’s grace has the power to rescue fools.
- Character – Not all of the wrong your children do is a direct rebellion to authority; much of the wrong is the result of a lack of character.
- False Gods – You are parenting a worshiper, so it’s important to remember that what rules your child’s heart will control his behavior.
- Control – The goal of parenting is not control of behavior, but rather heart and life change.
- Rest – It is only rest in God’s presence and grace that will make you a joyful and patient parent.
- Mercy – No parent gives mercy better than one who is convinced that he desperately needs it himself.
Those are some serious chapters! But the chapters themselves aren’t totally serious and they are easy to read. There are little stories within to help you relate to what is being mentioned which definitely helps as you are reading. Along with the little stories are stories and verses from the Bible. In the back of the book is an index as well as a scripture index which is really nice.
To me, this book was quite timely as it seemed to come at just the right time. I don’t think there is any age that this is good for as it is just about parenting in general. So, no matter your kids ages, you will definitely get something out of this book!
If you are interested in this book, feel free to click on the link at the top of the page to see it on Amazon….OR…you can also enter my giveaway for your own copy down below! Fun, right? 🙂
Parenting – 14 Gospel Principles That Can Radically Change Your Family
Disclosure (in accordance with the FTC’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”): Many thanks to Propeller Consulting, LLC for providing this prize for the giveaway. Choice of winners and opinions are 100% my own and NOT influenced by monetary compensation. I did receive a sample of the product in exchange for this review and post.